Contramal 50 MG Capsule is a synthetic painkiller belonging to a group of medicines known as Opioid Analgesics. It is used to relieve moderate to severe pain. It is also used in relieving acute pain after surgery.
Major & minor side effects for Contramal 50 MG Capsule
- Nausea or vomiting SEVERE
- Dizziness SEVERE
- Sense of imbalance
- Agitation and anxiety
- Convulsions SEVERE RARE
- Irregular heartbeat
- Shortness of breath SEVERE
- Itching or rash
Commonly asked questions for Contramal 50 MG Capsule
What is it prescribed for?
Uses of Contramal 50 MG Capsule
- Moderate to severe pain
- Chronic pain
When not to use?
Contraindications for Contramal 50 MG Capsule
- Severe asthma and breathing problems
Warnings for special population
Pregnancy warnings Use of this medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant women as there is a lack of conclusive evidence from clinical studies. However, the potential benefits might warrant the use of this medication inspite of the risks involved. You should consult a doctor before using this medicine.
Breast-feeding warnings This medicine is not likely to be present in the breastmilk in alarming quantities. However, the risk of adverse effects on the nursing infant can not be ruled out and hence it is not recommended for use. You should consult your doctor and discuss the potential benefits and risks before deciding to take this medicine.
Black box warnings
Seizure Risk: Seizures have been reported in patients receiving tramadol hydrochloride within the recommended dosage range. Spontaneous post-marketing reports indicate that seizure risk is increased with doses of tramadol hydrochloride above the recommended range. Concomitant use of tramadol hydrochloride increases the seizure risk in patients taking: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI antidepressants or anorectics), Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), and other tricyclic compounds (e.g., cyclobenzaprine, promethazine, etc.), or Other opioids. Administration of tramadol hydrochloride may enhance the seizure risk in patients taking: MAO inhibitors (see also WARNINGS-USE WITH MAO INHIBITORS), Neuroleptics, or Other drugs that reduce the seizure threshold. Risk of convulsions may also increase in patients with epilepsy, those with a history of seizures, or in patients with a recognized risk for seizure (such as head trauma, metabolic disorders, alcohol and drug withdrawal, CNS infections). In tramadol hydrochloride overdose, naloxone administration may increase the risk of seizure.
- AddictionContramal 50 MG Capsule has a high potential for addiction and abuse even at recommended dosages especially with the extended release form. You should be properly counselled about the abuse potential of this medicine. Proper safety monitoring and management of dose quantity is necessary in these cases.
- Bronchial AsthmaContramal 50 MG Capsule should be used with caution if you are suffering from an acute or chronic form of Bronchial asthma. Other diseases that might show asthma-like symptoms like Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease, Hypercapnia, Hypoxia should also be considered while prescribing this medication. Proper safety monitoring and dose adjustments should be done in such cases. It is advised to administer this medication in a monitored environment with equipments to handle any possible emergency.
- Fall in blood pressureContramal 50 MG Capsule can cause a temporary fall in blood pressure which can worsen based on posture (Orthostatic Hypotension). This can happen due to a pre-existing disease or other medications being administered at the same time. Proper clinical monitoring and dose adjustments are recommended in such cases. It should not be administered if you are suffering from severe heart ailments.
- Impaired brain functionContramal 50 MG Capsule can increase the risk of side effects in patients suffering from a brain tumor or head injury. The dose should be adjusted based on the severity of impairment and the patient should be monitored in the initial stages of administration. It is not recommended for use in patients who are in a coma.
- Gastrointestinal diseaseContramal 50 MG Capsule should not be given to patients having an obstructive disease of the Gastrointestinal Tract. The side effects may become more severe and sometimes the symptoms or the disease itself might worsen.
- Other medicinesContramal 50 MG Capsule has a potential of interacting with a large number of medications. Report the use of all medications including supplements and herbs so that the side effects can be minimized.
- Reduced fertilityProlonged use of Contramal 50 MG Capsule can reduce fertility in males and females in the reproductive age group. Patients should be informed about the potential effect on reproductive capabilities.
- SeizuresContramal 50 MG Capsule can cause seizures even at recommended doses especially in patients suffering from epilepsy and other conditions of the brain. Suitable dose adjustment and clinical monitoring are advised in such cases.
- Suicidal TendenciesContramal 50 MG Capsule should be administered with caution in patients who have shown suicidal tendencies in the past or present. This can be attributed to certain conditions or use of other medication that are known to cause suicidal tendencies upon administration.
- ElderlyContramal 50 MG Capsule should be admistered with caution in the elderly as the risk of severe adverse effects are very high. Suitable adjustment in dose quantity and safety monitoring may be required in such cases.
- Use in childrenContramal 50 MG Capsule is not recommended for use in children below 17 years of age as safety parameters are not set for this age group.
- Withdrawal symptomsWithdrawal of Contramal 50 MG Capsule should be slow and steady especially with the extended release form of the medicine. Symptoms of withdrawal include tremors, nausea and vomiting, chills and fever, diarrhea and even hallucinations in some cases. The dose reduction should be based on the symptoms and should be properly tapered.
- Method of intakeContramal 50 MG Capsule should be taken as prescribed by the doctor. Use of this medicine without prescription should be avoided. Never adopt other means like crushing the tablet and inhaling or injecting in veins. These methods of intake can be fatal.